We recently received some surprise gifts from our friend over at Meaty Vegan. They sent us a whole bunch of insanely hot, flavorful spices and sauces. So, as soon as the package arrived, we decided to tear every bottle open and see how hot they all were. Wow was that a mistake! Their stuff set our mouths on fire! After struggling to put the infernos in our mouths out we decided it was time to pair some of these amazing sauces and spices with some food. We decided that these flavors would pair well with some vegan “wings.” Breaded and baked cauliflower offers a healthy alternative to the traditional deep fried chicken wings. These bites had some crunch, texture, and soaked up a ton of sauce; everything one looks for when eating wings.
- 2 cups gluten free flour: We use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp Meaty Vegan Everything spice: You can substitute with any seasoning that has some spice to it, like chili powder or cayenne. You will have to lower the amount used though.
- Water: Enough to turn the flour into a thick batter.
- 1 head of cauliflower: We used purple cauliflower for the added heath benefits and because it looked really fun!
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups of your favorite wing sauce. We used Meaty Vegan Maple Sriracha sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Mix the Flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and everything spice into a large bowl.
- Slowly whisk in water until the batter reaches a thick consistency. Make sure its not clumpy. If it is, add more water.
- Break apart your cauliflower into bite size chunks.
- Toss the cauliflower into the bowl with the batter and toss around until each piece is evenly coated.
- On a parchment or foil lined baking tray, place your battered cauliflower. Make sure they are not touching so that they get crispy all the way around the bite.
- Put in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Flip once
- Let cook another 5-10 minutes and pull the bites out.
- Put them in a bowl and toss with a few pinches of salt.
- Toss with 1 cup of your wing sauce and make sure the pieces are evenly coated, save the other cup for dipping!